Monday, March 22, 2010

The Verdict is in

Well, if I am going to do something, I am going to do it big I guess.  I went to the orthopedic Dr. this morning and found out the problem with my foot.  They took 3 x-rays of my foot and within the first 5 seconds of looking at them the Dr. was like "oh yea, there's your problem."   The official diagnosis is Base of the 5th metatarsal fracture non union.  Basically the bone that juts out on the side of your foot is fractured.  I have been walking around with it like this for the last 4 years, but now that I am exercising more and losing the weight it is hurting a lot more.  So, I know you are asking - Kim, how do they fix this?  Well, I'll tell you.  I have 2 options.  Behind door #1 is do nothing, just keep walking around with the pain.  Behind door #2 is surgery.  I know, right?!  Where did that come from?!  Basically since I have been walking around with this fracture for so long it will never heal by itself.  There are 2 options for surgery.  The first one they go in and screw the bones back together.  The Dr. does not recommend this option.  Option 2 is they go in and take out the bone that is fractured and reattach the tendon.  That is what I am going to go with.  I have talked this over with several people and at this point I think this is my best option. 

I don't know why I am so emotional about this.  I held it together in his office, but when I got out to my car I broke down and started crying.  I guess I know why I am emotional about it.  First I am upset because this is just another road block for me and my weight loss.  I am actually wanting to exercise and after surgery I will have a cast and be on crutches for 8 weeks.  However, if I don't have it I don't want to exercise because my foot hurts.  In the long run I know that this will help me lose weight.  Secondly I have this unnatural fear of anesthesia.  I don't know where it comes from, but I am afraid I will die under anesthesia.  I know it's stupid, but it makes me cry whenever I think about it. 

I don't have a date yet, but I should know something this week.  Part of me doesn't want to have it and just deal with it, but I know that is not really an option.  I know this will help me.  I am depressed about it.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have this fear of Anesthesia!

    I guess it is because of my age (and the fact that I have had numerous Surgeries), but the way I see it, if I was to die during Surgery, at least I died without pain. So I don't have any fear of it. At least I don't let myself worry about it.

    As for your recovery, although this is another Surgery to go through, this is definitely the best thing for you.

    Otherwise, like you said, you would have to be in pain the rest of your life and unable to fully exercise. At least this way, you will be able to exercise after recovery!!

    Let us know when your Surgery is scheduled, we would want to be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Kim I am sorry to hear that you have to undergo surgery. You need to focus on the long term benefits of doing it.
    I have the same fear of anesthesia as you so I know what you mean.
    It is not a nice thing to hear from a doctor I guess you always hope it is not something that bad but you won't regret it I am sure and we will be here to support you along the way. It means that when it is all better you will be able to exercise without pain and maybe enjoy it more.

    Remember we are here to support you through that. Let us know when you have a date for the operation.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry....foot pain just sucks! I have dealt with planters fashiatis (sp) in the past and the pain was almost unbearable. In the long run, you will be glad you had the surgery. Good luck to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that you're sad, I think that everyone can understand exactly how you feel.
    But at least you know what the problem is now and that it can be sorted out. That 8 weeks will go really quickly and then you can really go for it.

    I understand how you feel about anesthesia, I'm having my band fitted on Thursday, I just looked at my 2 year old son and thought how much I loved him and what would happen if I didn't wake up. I can't offer advice but I know exactly how you feel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is going to be okay. I have the same fear, but look at all of your band sisters (and yourself) who did just fine with the lap band surgeries.
    It is upsetting, but in the long run you are going to feel so much better and be able to exercise as much as you want, without the foot pain. Keep us posted.
    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to everyone for the support, it means so much to me that you all care :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man...that sucks and I probably would have cried too! But at least now you know what is wrong and 8 weeks...in the grand scheme of things...is not horrible!

    I am sorry though :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it is good that they were able to figure out the problem AND the solution. I know that this is scary - any kind of surgery is scary, no matter how "minor" they say it is. But, you are right - in the long run this is the best option. You may fall a little behind on the exercise front, but think about how much stronger your foot will be and how much more you will be able to tolerate once you get back into the swing of things! Keep your head up my dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I am caught up I read your last post first and was confused.. Just think no pain in what 8 weeks, YOu can do it.. HUgz

    ReplyDelete
  10. My BFF just had a similar foot surgery and she had these same issues. Mostly it came down to the fact that she had all these plans (weight loss, vacation, etc.) and none of them worked out. Sometimes that is the lesson, you know? There are so many things that are out of our control. It doesn't make it suck any less, of course, but it is a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not an unnatural fear, totally normal!
    That sucks lady! You'll pull through - don't stress about it. good vibes. good vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your foot and I know the sadness when you have to stop exercising for a time. Howewer, I tore my fashia and was in a boot and crutches for 6 months. I have had the pain for 15 months and it will be another 6 months till I can resume normal exercising except swimming...and I am still losing weight. So hang in there and feel free to whinge about it because i seriously feel your pain

    ReplyDelete
  13. *hugs* I am sorry you have to go through that. But just think when its all over that exercise will jump start your weightloss even more. Because it will be comfortable to do so you will do it more! You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete